Re: How about some facts about the NR class?

Krel wrote:

<<<<< Is
there any large rail freight organisation in Australia looking for
freight that is NEW TO RAIL rather than just shifting to pieces of a
very small pie?>>>>>>

Well that's the 64,000 dollar question isn't it? Although I hate to see
Australian govt. assetts sold to overseas interests I trully believe that the
best operator would be someone like Wisconsin Central. I worked for them for a
couple of months this time last year and was amazed at how much on line
business they originate. Old timers told me that until WC showed up most of
this business went by road but that WC is VERY aggresive in getting contracts
from road onto rail. I believe WC has roughly doubled the tonnage originated on
their system since they brought the property from the SOO. Downside of WC is
they don't like unions but their own workforce has indeed just unionised and
all in all their employees, (even without a union) had it better than most US
workers.

I dream of a day when rail has 70% or more of the Melb to Sydney freight haul.
It can be done but not with the clowns you've got running the show now.

Mark.

Visit my train pic website at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~markbau/