Re: T413 - anyone know anything about this loco?

Roderick Smith (rodsmith@werple.net.au) wrote:
> T413 is in the care of T413 Preservation Group. The group was formed by
> locomen at Geelong.  The group also cares for the two Ws at Geelong.  The T
> has been used on several railway enthusiast tours over the last decade (see
> Oct.98 RNV p47).

I nominated T413 for the ARE Maryborough tour I helped organise in 1992.
R766 ran light to Bendigo, turned then returned to Castlemaine to take the
train to Ararat via Maryborough, returning via Cressey. T413 brought the
train from Melbourne, then returned light.

The decision was between a B and T413, and the T was cheaper and had not
been seen on the Bendigo line for some time.

The train had to wait at Sunbury for some time (waiting for the preceeding
pass to clear the section). During this stop, those at the down end of the
platform witnessed the funny sight of the driver's chair sailing out the
cab side window. The driver was on the hefty size and the chair collapsed
under him. Following this, there was great amusement as the crew tried to
fit a kitchen chair into the cab for the driver to sit on.

Cheers
David