Re: Alternatively powered train

At the point in the space/time continuum known as Fri, 23 Oct 1998 15:28:36
GMT, the state of the universe as viewed by John Wilson
<wilsonjohn@home.com> was thus:

> For the needed combination of low cost, high energy
>density, physical ruggedness, safety, required operating environment,
>and so forth, nobody has come up with a better alternative than the
>lead-acid battery. While there have been incremental improvements in
>battery life and capacity, lead-acid is still the best practical
>alternative for most large-scale uses. The developmental exotic battery
>technologies all get improvements in some characteristic, usually energy
>density, while blowing themselves out of contention on some other
>characteristic, usually cost and sometimes also operating environment
>and/or safety.
>
>This is why we're not driving electric cars.

Yet.

Nickel-metal hydride is going to come down to a usable cost in the next few
years. I already have one for my cellular phone. The same thing also works
on an automotive scale. If anybody had an application for it, it would
probably work in a train as well.

David Streeter
--
opinions expressed are probably not those of
Little "Q" Model Railroad Club