Re: Metcard

Luke Webber wrote:

> "Michael Walker" <walker@hotkey.net.au> writes:
>
> >It's pretty ironic that the Act was designed to stop abuse of the system by
> >people using ridiculously small currency to pay for relatively expensive
> >items. On the other hand, here is the PTC encouraging people to use
> >ridiculously small coinage to pay for relatively expensive items. (e.g.
> >using coins to buy a daily or weekly).
>
> Now that you mention it...
>
> Has anybody else noticed that the ticket dispensers seem to be uncommonly
> fond of giving change in suboptimal denominations?
>
> Ahem. Sorry 'bout that, but I have cold. Now I'll say it again in English.
>
> Why is it I keep getting five-cent pieces in my change? It's about the
> only time I ever see the bloody things, and my fare is $4.30, so by rights
> I should get nothing smaller than a ten-cent piece.

The only time I ever had to get change when buying a ticket, the ATM
only gave me 5c coins - all 80c worth -- arrgggg!  My solution now is to
do to the ATM what it did to me - where the opportunity exists, I feed
it 5c coins in preference to larger value coins (mind you, if there are
others waiting to buy tickets, then I'll use bigger coins rather than
delay them unnecessarily). If metcard doesn't like it, then they should
reprogram the ATMs to give out change in a more logical selection of
coins.

Mick.