Re: re Bluebirds to the Barossa

In article <355A9949.6CDB@tbsa.com.au>,
  peter berrett <pberrett@tbsa.com.au> wrote:

> Sat replied
>
> > peter berrett wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all
> > >
> > > Sat wrote

> > Australia's Great Train Journeys. It is about the Indian Pacific and the
Ghan. It has costs,
> > timetables and the INTRODUCTION OF THE GHAN INTO MELBOURNE.

Wednesdays at
> > Alice Springs at 10.00am on Friday.
> > > >
> > > Those timings seem a bit tight given the state of the line on the
> > > Victorian side

Melbourne at
> > > Correction On Tuesday it departs from Alice at 1.00pm arrives Adelaide
at 8.00am
> > Wednesday. Departs Adelaide 9.40am, Arrives Melbourne 8.40pm
> >
> > Cheers
> > sat
>
> Hmmm
> Departs 9.40 A.m Adelaide arrives melbourne 8.40 P.M.
>
> Allowing for the half hour added when you cross the border that makes a
> trip time of 10 hours 30 minutes.
>
> Sorry It just can't be true.
>
> Somebody's trying to pull our legs. As I understand the state of the
> track and freight traffic such timings would not be possible on the
> Adelaide to Melbourne route.
>
> cheers peter

Yes, the state of the track is a problem.  But thats not that much a big deal.
20 Years ago the OL was doing the trip in 11 hours.  Also in the OLD days,
there was a daylight OL during Xmas which did the trip on the same TT.
These days there is no more stopping at sundry town along the track (trust me,
i'm from the wimmera), so a 10 + hour trips quite possible.

Your thoughts??

CM