Re: Little Trimmer vanishes !!!

On Sat, 02 May 1998 01:07:19 +1000, Steve Bucton
<stevenb@alphalink.com.au> wrote:

>Whenever historically valuable or interesting locos or items come up for
>disposal or relocation, the good folk at SteamRail / DieselRail don't
>seem to exist at times in the eyes of rail administrators.
>
>Unless we get an inside word as to a loco's pending availability, no
>offer of acquisition or allocation is made to us.

G'day.

North of the Border in NSW, the SRA has introduced a policy where
locomotives and rollingstock vested in SRA is offered first of all to
eligible railway preservation groups at half current market value
before being offered for public disposal.   An "eligible railway
preservastion group" basically is one which belongs to the Association
of Railway Preservation Groups, although this does not prevent
non-member groups from applying, provided they meet the criteria.
In their application, groups (inter-alia) have to justify why they
should be sold the item at half value, give details of their expertese
and provide a conservation programme for the vehicle.

FreightCorp follows a somewhat similar policy, but on at lease one
occasion to date, failed to offer a very historic piece of rolling
stock to the other groups, even though it had been advised in writing
that there already was a recorded interest by another society.

Pete.