Re: NSW CityRail Trains - Destination Signs

In article <3551DFF2.6F1DD3AD@ozemail.com.au>,
  trainman@ozemail.com.au wrote:
> <snip>
> Many drivers never bother changing them.  I think they were mostly disabled
> through the easter show to avoid confusion.

When they were first introduced (several years ago) they not only showed a
destination, but a three digit route number bus style. I remember once seeing
"520 Campbelltown via Airport" for example as one driver was playing about
with the new toy. Route numbers seem quite a sensible idea particularly if
shown on timetables, platform destination boards and if announced at stations.
What happened to this idea?

Also, I have seen a Tangaras with new destination boards that are backlit and
easy to read, but no progress has been made on widespread installation.  The
original orange colour was a disaster, but they once had one of the original
style boards with yellow dots that looked a bit better.

> --
> David Johnson
> CityRail Guard
> trainman@ozemail.com.au