Re: 3820

Jim Leppitt (leppijlk@virtual.net.au) wrote:
>There is a chance that Victoria will see a J Class and maybe even an R Class
>on standard gauge

R753 is reportedly under restoration by R707 Operations for that purpose.
R700 (Steamrail) and J512 (SRHC) have also been mentioned from time to time.

ARHS(ACT) also looked into getting a J some time ago for use on the
Michelago line.

>one day so why not restore 3820 to broad gauge, we would
>look after it!!!!!

I doubt you could. IIRC, the cylinders and frame in between were cast as
one piece. You can't move the wheels out without moving the cylinders.

Only locomotives designed for gauge conversion can be converted. The R and
J (and the North British Ns?) have spacers between the frames and in the
axles to allow for relatively easy conversion. The big Webb power of the
SAR had dished wheels which could be pulled off the axles and turned
around to change gauge, thereby removing the need to move the cylinders.

A few groups have investigated taking a few NSW diesels to Victoria.
Around the time of the Cardiff auction, a group of Victorian Alcophiles
looked into buying a pair of 44s. One was to stay on sg and the other
would be put on bg if a set of 930 bogies could be obtained from AN.

WCR looked at the 421s just before NRR got them.

Cheers
David