Re: Further stuff on high speed trains

peter berrett wrote in message <354C69EA.48C3@tbsa.com.au>...
>Hi all
>There has recently been some discussion about high speed trains and the
>Melbourne to Adelaide route.

>Some people felt that high speed services between capital cities could
>not be competitive. (I'd disagree with this for reasons previously
>stated).

>I had an afterthought though which I though worth mentioning. One
>service which is currently offered and might be offered also on high
>speed trains is that of Motorail.
>Provided the price was not prohibitive I think people would be genuinely
>tempted by the idea of putting the car on the train.

>Consider this. A plane can't take your car at a competitive price nor
>can a coach. So let's say I am driving to Adelaide for the weekend.
>Which would be preferable - to drive for 8 or so hours (plus stops) or
>simply load myself and my car on the train and be there in 3-4 hours on
>a new high speed service.

>Even more so for Melbourne to Sydney. I can't stomach the 11-12 hour
>drive there. If I coudl just laod my car and myself on the train and be
>there in 4-5 hours I'd certainly use the service. I am sure there are
>considerable numbers of people with the money who woudl prefer to go on
>a high speed train if they knew they could take their car with them.

>I think this is a very strong argument for a high speed train service
>(not to mention the lives it would save re sleepy drivers running into
>trees).

Sounds like a good idea, though it would have to be pretty cheap. It
wouldn't be the wealthier people using it, they'd fly then rent a car if
they needed it. I can drive my car to Melbourne from Sydney for around $70
in petrol. In 1977 I was quoted $180 to freight my car by train from Leeton
to Sydney with no staff discounts.