Re: ABC News and the Overland >> the end is nigh.!

In article <1998033107214901.CAA15211@ladder01.news.aol.com> markbau1@aol.com (MarkBau1) writes:
>From: markbau1@aol.com (MarkBau1)
>Subject: Re: ABC News and the Overland >> the end is nigh.!
>Date: 31 Mar 1998 07:21:49 GMT

>MD wrote:

><<<<<<Nothing can be done to raise the speed limits to 110K until the dopey ASW

>safeworking system is abandoned,and Train staff & ticket between maroona &
>Pyreenees loop is abolished.
>Dont hold your breath for either.>>>>>>

>Mind explaining why the safeworking systems would be part of the reason for not
>increasing the track speed. Trains used to run at 70MPH on TSAT.

>Actually this could be a quiz, anyone want to guess where?

Firstly I meant running at 110K along the whole line , not having to slow down
at every loop and tsat station to exchange the staff.
ASW is basically train order working by another name .
Crossing loops are unattended and have home arrival signals only, no
departures and no distants.
The loop points are motor operated by the train crews.
Even though a train may have an order to travel the whole line , the driver
must still obey the home arrival signals at the intermediate loops, for good
reason as they are indicating whether the points in both the facing and
trailing direction are locked and facing the correct way.
As there are no arrival distants,the driver must assume that the home arrival
is at stop,until he can actually see that it isnt, which means slowing down
for every loop.
Admittedly it would be possible to install approach distants to overcome this
problem,but then you may as well install home departures and you have CTC.
Lets face it , the Melb - Adelaide line now has more trains per day than the
Melb - Albury SG line had in 1964 when CTC was deemed to be needed.

In answer to your second question how about Heywood to Portland in the
late 1970s when 600HP DRCs used to run at 70MPH between Ararat & Portland.

cheers
MD