Re: ABC News and the Overland >> the end is nigh.!

Maurie Daly wrote:

> In article <6ff11k$i3j$1@reader1.reader.news.ozemail.net> telljb@ozemail.com.au (Tell) writes:
> >From: telljb@ozemail.com.au (Tell)
> >Subject: ABC News and the Overland >> the end is nigh.!
> >Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 01:59:09 GMT
>
> >Hello Folks
>
> >Did anyone else pick up the late TV news on ABC last
> >night.  GSR are saying the Overland is costing them BIG
> >money and its future is in doubt.
>
> >----Tell
> >Alice Springs NT
>
> Well surprise surprise.
> The Overland never made any money, even when it ran with 14 cars every night.
> Running it with 5 cars and an NR sure doesnt help in the profitability stakes.
> What are the contractual arrangements of GSR pulling the plug and not running
> the train.
> Maybe its time for Countrylink to start thinking about XPTS to Adelaide.

  What with? They don't even have enough running power cars to run all services. Countrylink is
not out to promote rail travel and any new services would have to be politically motivated. As for
GSR ,I read in Catchpoint that they may be selling some of their cars to ASR. Why would ASR want
passenger cars? Any clues on this one.
Bob