Re: ABC News and the Overland >> the end is nigh.!

Maurie Daly wrote:
> Well surprise surprise.
> The Overland never made any money, even when it ran with 14 cars every night.
> Running it with 5 cars and an NR sure doesnt help in the profitability stakes.
> What are the contractual arrangements of GSR pulling the plug and not running
> the train.

There's an article in today's Herald Sun (accompanied by a picture of a
500 class steam loco hauling 5 cars plus van), stating that it could
close within 2 years if the rail link between Melbourne and Adelaide is
not improved.

<quoting from article>

GSR said it was not a preferred option but it might be the only one if
the line continued to lose several hundred thousands dollars each month
(their grammar, not mine!)

GSR's John Finnin said state and federal governments were to blame for
the "pathetic inadequacy" of funding for the line's upkeep.  "We don't
want to see the Overland close, quote the contrary.  (But) at the moment
that journey is nearly 13 hours, there are 18 speed restrictions on the
track and there needs to be a commitment on behalf of both state and
federal governments to put money into track infrastructure to allow
operators like Great Southern Rail to survive.

A spokesman for federal Transport Minister Mark Vaile said that GSR
"went into this with both eyes open" when it bought the track. (! - it
didn't buy the track
!)
About $35 million was earmarked for the track which had deteriorated
during 13 years of federal Labour Governments, the spokesman said.

The spokesman said the Australian Rail Track Corporation which starts
operation on July 1 would also have $250 million to spend on upgrading
rail lines around Australia over 4 years.

But most of the blame lay with the Victorian Government which was
responsible for maintaining the line to the state border.

A spokesman for Victorian Transport Minister Robin Cooper also said Mr
Finnin was well aware of the state of the infrastructure when he bought
the service.

<end of article>

Briefly - yes the respective governments are correct that GSR knew the
state of the infrastructure when they bought the service, BUT that's no
excuse for the disgraceful state of the Melbourne-Serviceton standard
guage.  The "deteriorated during 13 years of federal Labor governments"
displays a serious lack of understanding on the part of the federal
minister, who should KNOW that the track was quite good during BG days,
but suffered badly in the coversion to SG.

All very frustrating, IMHO the sooner it's sold off and we remove the
politics, the better.

Regards,
CH.
--