Re: 2 car Harris seen on Broadmeadows line today.

Mike Alexander wrote:

> > Hi, today i saw passing glenroy at approx 12-1pm a 2 car (both M cars)
> Harris
> > train. It appears these were the cars that would have been used on the
> overhead
> > inspection set that used to go around melbourne, consisting of
> > harris(m) - tait (used for the overhead inspection car) - power van -
> harris(m)
> > (or something similar to that, correct me if im wrong?)... Is there any
> reason
> > why this is not seen anywhere any more? and if not being used for that,
> what
> > are the 2 harris cars being used for now?
>
> The reason the overhead greasing train is not used anymore, is that all
> suburban pantographs have been replaced with a new (self lubricating?)
> type. They look like they are made out of thick wire, rather than the large
> block which the old style ones had as a head.
>
> I have heard them referred to as "broad-wire-loop" type pantographs, but I
> don't know how official this term is.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike Alexander
> (malex@bigfoot.com)

The new pantos are "carbon pan" type and need no lubrication. I believe
Melb trams have carbon pantos and carbon shoes on poles replaced trolley
wheels many years ago. The greaser train is now merely a rail greaser
hence the reduction to the 2 harris M cars.

Stuart