Re: UHG/JHG Guard Vans

Steve Shotton wrote:

> I am interested in the NSW JHG/UHG guards van. I was wondering if anyone can
> help me out with a few details...
>
> When were they first introduced?
>
> When were they converted from JHG to UHG?
>
> What is/are the difference/s between the two?
>
> I believe they were used for coal trains in the Hunter Region, is this
> correct. If so when were they withdrawn? Did they work anywhere else?
>
> Does anyone know of a list of which original JHG vans were converted to the
> UHG vans, and if they kept the same numbers?
>
> The RVRM runs UHG 34098 (I think that's the right number from memory).
>
> Thanks.
>
> Steve Shotton
> RVRM

  JHG vans were introduced in 1969 and were delivered up to 1977. UHGs are JHGs
with a strengthened underframe and drawgear and an extra air pipe to supply air
to the pnumatic discharge hopper doors.These were converted for coal loading
points that did not have baloon loops and they had a van at each end of the
train to save time at the run around. Because of the weight of the train they
had to beef up the underframe. 34098 would have been the third last built and
would have run up to the begining of WB operations.
Bob