Re: 36 and auto-couplers

Based on my observations during that period in question, such wagons as
TLV's, BWH's & BCH's were not fitted with buffers nor in most cases
transition couplers and any engine coupled to one of these wagons would
require auto couplers. And indeed, if you do a bit of research, there are
quite a few photo's around showing 36 class coupled to these wagons.
It was of course, a common sight during the wheat seasons of the sixties to
see a solid train of BWH's and/or sheeted BCH's with an S wagon or similar
to provide transition for NON Auto fitted motive power. The majority of 36's
were so fitted.
Discussions with a number of respected photographers and record keepers of
the period has confirmed what I said in my original Posting.
Further to this it appears 2 or 3 Pigs were fitted with auto's in the
'58-'60 period, as well. Though they may have been refitted with hooks later
or lost them in a tender swap. 3601 and 3619 may have been 2 of these
engines.
3623 has been often mentioned as being fitted with auto's and a couple of
Pics in John Thompson treatise '36' show this engine working trains with
both BCH's & BWH's coupled to the engine.
BTW, it is only now that I have been made aware of the slightly different
domes on these engines (i.e. flatish or rounded!!)
As there was always only a small number of 36's fitted with auto's it is
hard to find 'conclusive' photographic evidence.
BTW, I can remember the very same subject in Roundhouse, Digest or similar
some years ago.
It remains a controversial subject.
And to add a bit of fuel to the fire ;~), my brief research has suggested
there may have been a couple of P Classes fitted with auto's to the tenders.
Sorry for the long Posting.
Regards                            mainline@localnet.com.au
Patrick J. Buchanan            mameco@auscape.net
ICQ# 2914804                  MS NetMeeting (Audio only)
    --- Graphics & PRE-Press----High Res Scanning---WEB Graphics ---
                 --- WEB Site Design, Implementation and Maintenance ---