Re: NSWGR Well Wagon W2886

In article <890102288.975027@mercedes.iniaccess.net.au>,
  "Steve Shotton" <steves@castle.net.au> wrote:

> The Richmond Vale Railway Museum has recently purchased  a bridge testing
> wagon from the State Rail Authority.
>
> This wagon is a conversion of a bogie well wagon originally coded "WW" and
> one of several built between 1908 and 1912 by the government railways' own
> workshops and also Ritchie Brothers Ltd of Auburn (Sydney).
>
> Originally designed to have T (D50) class or P (32) class tender bogies,
> they were soon modified for heavy diamond frame fabricated bogies, although
> W2886 is now fitted with roller bearing 3-piece cast bogies. The wagon is
> unusual in having two hand brakes and brake cylinders fitted, one at each
> end. The frame is riveted and has buffers and hook drawgear (possibly the
> last freight wagon so fitted in SRA service).
>
> Loads carried on these well wagons included items such as Lancashire
> Boilers, traction engines and other large loads that were too high to load
> on a regular flat wagon.
>
> It is known that by 1970 there were only two "WW" well wagons still in
> service.
>
> The dimensions are:
>
> Length:                        56'6"
> Width:                          7'9"
> Bogie Centres:          46'6"
> Capacity:                    40 tons over bogies
>                                     20 tons distributed
>                                     8 tons in centre of well
>
> The wagons original number and the date that it was converted into the
> bridge testing wagon is not known, and if someone out there can help with
> this it would be appreciated.
>
> Also, the total number of these wagons built and the last time one was in
> regular service is not known.
>
> Cheers
>
> Steve Shotton
> RVRM

Steve,

This was the Well Wagon stored at Maitland. It "lived" with NVMF 11782K (MHG
11782) and NVMF 11568L (MHG 11568) whilst there.

It appears that W 2886 used to be WW9558.

I can't give you much more detail than that, except to say that in 1982 it
was the oldest revenue wagon in service. (Railway Freight Wagons in New South
Wales, John Bekhaus, 1982).

Brett Fitzpatrick