Re: Granville Accident 1977

brett.fitzpatrick@employment.gov.au wrote in message
<6eammq$rcf$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>I have to agree with Vaughan's comments on the relative safety of timber
>constructed passenger coaches.
>
>He is correct in saying that neither they nor any coaches constructed from
>alternative materials are designed to withstand such accidents.

<snipping all the way>

I am aware of timber bodied buses in public transport use up to the
nineties. Many buses built up to the 60s were constructed on timber frames
with steel sheeting screwed to the frames. Some bus builders, such as the
appropriately named Syd Wood of Bankstown built nothing else. There was a
Leyland Tiger Cub bus put into service in Lismore NSW in 1959 or 1960 with a
timber framed body which according to my info was still running in regular
serviceup until about 1992. I wonder if these are as strong a wooden railway
cars?

Barry Campbell