Re: Olympic Park opening

Malcolm Purvis <malcolmp@abc.gov.au> wrote:

>I must admit that I'm curious if this can be achieved since, as far as I can
>tell, the line as it branches from the main western line has a speed limit of
>40kph.  Admittedly, the western end is limited by a rather sharp curve located
>within a cutting, but I would have thought that at the Flemington end high
>speed points and a faster track speed would help keep the throughput high.
>
>Does anyone know the speed limit throughout the rest of the loop?

On a 2 minute frequency, the speed limits will be substantially irrelevant
because the signalling will be the main constraint. The signals are very
closely spaced - although strangely few (if any) have low speed lights, so
they probably have conditional clearing of the caution indications.

Eddie Oliver