Re: Passenger Information Displays

Alex Borodin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just wondering what sort of thoughts ya'll have about
> Passenger Information Displays, especially the Outdoor LED type
> displays like they have in Sydney, Melbourne and Perth.

I was relieved when the LED displays started popping up around Sydney.  They are
definitely helpful - although they probably reduce fitness levels as they reduce the
need to madly dash up and down platform ramps.

LED type screens seem to be more suited to suburban stations.  I think in the city
stations, Melbourne's TV monitor system works better, with monitors dedicated to
each line (definitely better than the indicator boards at Town Hall or Central in
Sydney)

At stations where there is only one line it is 'nice' to have a count-down to actual
departure time (as well as the scheduled time) so we know whether we have time to pop
down the road to a shop or whatever.  At busier stations (such as Parramatta, Granville
etc) where there are multiple lines/express  services the count-down is almost essential
- so the passenger knows which train will (supposedly) get them to their destination
quicker.

At quieter stations - such as East Richmond in Melbourne - I find that the 'green
button' is enough - where you press a button, and a voice tells you the next train and
its departure time.

As far as info on the LED indicators, if the train stops all stations - then I think
'All stations to ......"  will do as long as there is a LARGE EASILY READABLE list of
stations nearby.  For limited stop services, a listing of all stopping stations is
probably more useful.

Hope these comments are useful