Re: Passenger Information Displays

Thanks for your reply Geoff.

Geoff Lambert wrote:

> It is worth thinking about colour and catering for colour-vision
> impaired people- a significant proportion of the population.  The old
> style train indicators on the City Circle in Sydney, which had a white
> indicator light beside each station name to indicate that a train
> stopped there, were haphazardly replaced some years ago by newer

This is indeed a problem. Unfortunately, most of the cost-effective
LED displays which can be used outdoors are Red only. There are
Amber ones, but they are a good deal more expensive.

> *  I have always been imprerssed by the amazing LCD displays they have
> at Spencer St, they must be the biggest LCD displays in the world....
> each "letter" box is the size, shape and appearance of a ceramic tile.
> Of course, they require an external light source (but they work well
> in daylight (?), but being black and white, they obviate the colour
> vision problem.

These are actually not LCD's, they are alcohol/water with some
other chemicals for the colouring. They are very expensive
beasts, and I'm not sure how the chemical dyes would stand up
to the constant Queensland sunshine beating down on them.
But they are impressive, I have to agree.

--
 o Alex Borodin B.Eng(Hons)        o Queensland Rail
 o Software and Systems Engineer   o Ph: +61-7-3235-2482