Re: Passenger Information Displays

x-no-archive: yes

In our last episode <34F61EB7.7510BC12@qrail.com.au> on Fri, 27 Feb 1998
12:02:31 +1000, Alex Borodin told aus.rail:

>Just wondering what sort of thoughts ya'll have about
>Passenger Information Displays, especially the Outdoor LED type
>displays like they have in Sydney, Melbourne and Perth.

The LED style in Sydney is ideal for suburban and inter-urban stations.
The monitor/screen-style PIDS at Brisbane's Central, Roma St and B'wick St
stations are the best I have seen, especially after they were changed to
the current style with the "Next train ---" features.

>Does anyone have any comments about the usefulness of the
>information being displayed on the signs? What sort of
>information would YOU display on an LED sign if you were
>given a free reign over the project? Imagine that you have
>signs which are about 160cm long, 18cm high and can
>display 42 characters across and two rows in height (each
>char is 8cm high), or 14 characters across in a single row of
>characters (each char is 18cm high. )

The details on Sydney's LED dispays are just right -- too much information
thrown at a passenger causes confusion, and he/she is then more likely to
walk away and use their car or another form of transport.

>What sort of info would like to see on there? Imagine that
>it's a busy station where trains can be platform-swapped
>at any time. Passengers need to know if the train they
>are waiting for is now scheduled to go off another
>platform.

For inner-city stations, remain with the PIDS system.  For major suburban
stations, Sydney's LED styles.  For other stations, the single-line LED
banners used in the subway under Central is best.

>Are count-down clocks more useful for estimated departure
>times than actual times?

Not really.  Handy nonetheless.

>Do you need the current time on the sign?

Absolutely!  If not possible, some other form of time display is essential!

>Do you need the complete stopping pattern (as is
>done in Sydney) or just something like "Express to Caboolture"
>or "All Stations Caboolture"?

There are new, first-time passengers every day.  Never assume everyone
knows where wherever is.  Station listing is essential.

>I want to hear all of your grips, complaints, suggestions,
>comments, and kudos about all the different PIDS LED signs
>you've ever come in contact with.

Keep the information displayed correct and up-to-date!

A bad example is like showing the 16:55 Gold Coast train as having an ETD
of past 18:00... flashing (meaning it's at the station) at 17:20, like at
Bne Central last week! :-)  Passengers naturally get confused, and it is
also an appalling display of on-time running and punctuality, even if it
was an error.

>We're looking at developing a new system for Brisbane
>and we want to make it as useful, reliable and simple to
>understand as possible.

Keep the PIDS screens in inner-city Brisbane!  Use Sydney's LEDs style at
suburban stations.  Brisbane's inner-city stations are the best (in my
mind) for passenger information displays.  Sydney Central's
(electric/CityRail) are shocking (out-dated, hard to understand, and not
easy to find or read at the ticket barrier area)!

On the other hand, work on the Citytrain station announcements is
definitely required, even if recently redone!  Use Sydney's CityRail
announcements as a benchmark, and have them at Central, Roma St and B'wick
St!