Re: Melbourne to Darwin

Tom Jones wrote in message ...
>IMHO no one is going to build a rail line to Darwin on commercial grounds.
>Why?
>
>1.  The private sector wants the government to underwrite the loss or give
tax concessions..... whatever!!!

>2.  The federal government wants out of rail and won't commit any funds
beyond the $100m plus the offer of the CAR.

>3.  Sea is cheaper but slower.
>
>4.  There is only so much freight that is time critical that users would be
prepared to pay the extra to go by rail.

>5.  If a rail connection was built the shipping companies would exchange
their existing 17.5kt vessels for 22kt.  This would provide the same transit
time as rail.

>6.  Rail would only be able to achieve container double stacking between
Darwin and Adelaide whereas the bulk of the freight would be destined for
Melbourne/Sydney.

>The only way a rail link to Darwin can be justified is on strategic
(defence of Australia) grounds.

This is one of the few sensible posts I have seen on this issue. Mr Compton
and SA & NT politicians should note. If anybody really wants to spend money
on rail projects, here is my list of the ones needed.

1.    Upgrade Sydney - Brisbane
2.    Upgrade Sydney - Melbourne
3.    Upgrade Melbourne - Adelaide
4.    Standard gauge connection Brisbane to the border west of the range and
upgrade inland route to Melbourne
5.    Forget double stacking. Think laterally, or in this case
longitudinally, and make the best of what we have.

Barry Campbell