Re: New sleepers for Toolamba Line

In article <6n7258$ljm$3@gruvel.une.edu.au>, dbromage@metz.une.edu.au
(David Bromage) wrote:

> MarDillon@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> > I have been reliably informed that sleepers have been discharged between
> > Kyabram and Echuca.  They will be replacing 1 in 5 sleepers.
>
> This line originally wasn't going to be available as part of the sale of
> V/Line Freight. I wonder if the preferred tenderer (officially still just
> an interested party) put some pressure on the government.

If that was the case,I can only assume the line was to be closed, although
I hadn't heard such announcement.  I understand from talking to Vline
staff in Echuca that the pressure was coming from the ricegrowers on the
Tocumawl and Oaklands area who send their rice to the mill at Echuca.
Currently their rice goes via Melbourne adding considerable time &
expense.

--
Stuart Thyer
Photographer- University of Melbourne