Re: V/Line Freight

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998 13:06:40 +1000, Bob <gioia@fastlink.com.au> wrote:

>David & Julie Donald wrote:
>

>> I am told that ATN is the preferred purchaser of V/Line Freight,
>>
>> Word is that ATN's next target is Westrail.
>>
>I didn't know that Westrail was to be privatized? What about NRC, didn't Howard
>indicate that the Federal Government was to sell their 40% and Kennett also wants to
>sell his 20% ?

NRC's sale is held up due to the Vic Governments insistance on selling
NRC without the Melbourne terminals!!!! The Vics insist that NRC only
lease the land for the Melbourne Freight Terminal, Melbourne
Operations Terminal and the Melbourne Steel Terminal. NRC can spend
lots of dollars to improve the sites (which they had to) but cannot
make any operational changes without approval from VicTrack
(previously it was V/Line).

Ever wonder why the western end of the MFT has a signal out of each
road when most yards only have a signal where they connect to the
mainlines? Guess who controls the signals, not NRC but VicTrack (west
Tower). Guess how long it can take to move one loco from a yard track
to the next yard track when West Tower is busy. NRC wanted to get rid
of the signals and just keep the ones at the exit of the yard but
VicTrack said NoWay!!!

In the MOT NRC could not even change the design of the fouling boards
without VicTracks approval.

Where are the feds when you need 'em.

Cheers

Krel