Re: QR Moree Extension

David Bromage replied

>pberrett@tbsa.com.au (Peter Berrett) (removethis) wrote:
>> Why not - if it works for the Spaniards why not for us? With two
>> gauges how else can you run a train from Sydney to Brisbane via
>> Moree???

>The only broad/narrow gauge convertable passenger train

You would think that in a country with as many different systems and
gauges as ourselves we would by world leaders in gauge convertible
technology.

The above would probably be possible though. You can convert from a
higher to a narrower gauge by moving one wheel inwards therefore an
even narrower gauge should be possible if applied to the other wheel
ie move both wheels inwards. I'd suspect that you would still want to
make the carriages reasonably narrow so as not to overbalance when
using the narrow gauge line. With careful modification the train
coulld probably run on standard gauge as well.

>> What would happen is that the south bound train to Moree from Brisbane
>> would arrive at Moree and then be piggybacked (narrow gauge bogies and
>> all) on the back of specially desgned broad gauge bogies). I believe
>> this has actually been done but is probably impractical for high speed
>> use.

>It was done in South Australia with freight, but would not be practical
>for passenger. It would be way too high when piggy backed.

Would it? The Talgo trains achieve a greater degree of stability by
having very low carriages. If the same principle was applied to to the
narrow gauge carriages they would have a relatively low profile and
low centre of gravity.

The other point is that broad gauge is probably sufficiently wider
than narrow gauge to permit the use of independant axles for each
wheel with the wheels of the narrow gauge train slotted between but
slightly higher than the broad gauge wheels. If the independant axles
assembly for each broad gauge wheel proves a bit too big the answer is
simple - place the assembly around the other way so that the axle is
on the OUTSIDE of the wheel not the inside. This would make the whole
train a bit wider than usual but probably not much wider than a broad
gauge passenger train.

>> Returning to the gauge convertible concept, the Melbourne to Brisbane
>> route would require a high speed (300kph) gauge convertible high speed
>> train possibly even with a tilting mechanism for added passenger
>> comfort. Probably a darn side cheaper than building a new standard
>> gauge spur to Brisbane.

>A standard gauge line through the Darling Downs to Brisbane would be more
>useful. Passengers are not going to pay for the line, freight is.

There is some logic in this proposal. I hope that when the new line is
sleepered they have the good sense to use gauge convertible sleepers
so as to make provision for a later conversion if necessary.

>A standard gauge alternative to the north coast line would be more useful.

>Cheers
>David

cheers Peter