Re: QR Moree extension

In article <01bd9cf3$66c64de0$LocalHost@mikemcd>, "M.B. and C.M.McDonald"
<Michael.and.Colleen.Mcdonald@xtra.co.nz> writes:

>If rail costs have to be reduced, the best solution may be seats that are
>comfortable for sleeping in (for overnight journeys), as well as improving
>speed and frequency.

"Would people be interested in the European couchette style of sleeper? For
those who've never used it, it consists of simple bunk-style accommodation that
lets you lie down full length under a blanket provided by the railway. You get
a pillow too. But there's no gender separation and no privacy other than the
light being dimmed. You're supposed to sleep in some of your day clothes, tho I
usually sleep in not a lot but in the sleeping bag.

Cheap and cheerful, six to a compartment for about $30 on top of the regular
tourist class fare.

Much more comfortable than any number of reclining seats.

Daytimes it makes up to a six person (three facing each way) 2nd class
compartment.

Railways don't exploit the sleeper market enough in my view.

I notice inmcidentally that there is no daytime trip to Taree (Port
Macquarie/Kempsey) from Sydney or Brisbane.

Meaning trains leaving after 0700. McCafferty's and other services are justr as
nocturnal.

*Philip*