Re: Just an idea? Plans for an South-Eastern Suburbs Freight Intermodal Centre.

JohnMcCandless wrote in message
<01bd9cd1$87b49a60$050064c6@johnmc.topend.com.au>...

<snip>

 Q-link in Qld is road operated for much of its
>operation.
>
>Sorry Barry, but I'm going to have to correct you on this point.
>
>However, I will declare my bias up front.  I am a Freight Distribution
>Centre
>(FDC) Supervisor for Q-link at Cloncurry, and any privatisation of Q-Link
>will
>have an impact upon my employment.  So I tend to be (too?) defensive of
>Q-Link & QR in general.
>
>Q-link road ops are a mainly South East and coastal Queensland operation.
>(West to Chinchilla, North to Bundaberg, Rocky to Mackay, Tville to
>Richmond,
>Cairns & Mackay, and each indvidual FDCs' to-door operations.)
>
>Traffic from Brisbane to Rocky, Townsville, Cairns & Mt Isa is all hauled
>by rail,
>which comprises the majority of our traffic.  My FDC (Cloncurry) is on the
>Mt Isa
>Branch, and has never had any Q-Link road traffic, except during natural
>disasters
>when the rail line is cut.

This is my point. All short distance traffic is road hauled and by Qld
standards *all*  Victorian intrastate traffic would be short haul.

BTW, how does Q-link compete at Mt Isa as there is no direct rail line from
Brisbane whereas there is a rather more direct road?

Barry Campbell