'K' set carriages

Several months ago, I initiated a thread regarding the failure to retrofit
air- conditioning to the remaining 'K' set carriages - I indicated I would be
writing to CityRail, and that I would post details of any reply I received.
The letter to CityRail was sent on 29 March 1998 - below is an extract of a
reply, dated 17 June 1998 (they ARE quick, aren't they!) from Trevor Robb,
Customer Relations Officer, CityRail NorthWest Sector Office. There are some
errors in his reply, but I have quoted it exactly.

"Concerning "K" set carriages, when these carriages were introduced into
service, some 20 years ago, there were plans to fit air-conditioning to the
remaining approximately 100 cars. However, presently it is considered that the
cost of fitting air-conditioning cannot be readily justified owing to resource
constraints and competing demands for scarce capital funding.

"Further, you may be aware that the Minister for Transport has foreshadowed
the introduction of the next generation of electric commuter trains for
CityRail. These trains will be an improvemnt on the Tangara design, being
bigger, quieter, increased seating capacity and, of course, air-conditioned.
Presently, CityRail is considering tenders for the construction of the fourth
generation suburban trains, the first of which is expected to commence
service prior to the Sydney Olympic Games. The construction of these new
carriages will increase the number of cars in our fleet and at the same time
allow us to retire some of the older carriages. This is seen to be the most
economical approach."

Make of that what you will!

Hope this helps,

David "The Doctor" Proctor