Re: Scully gets out his broom

In article <3583B4D7.A8C6897E@cia.com.au>,
  robson <robson@cia.com.au> wrote:

> McFergus@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> >
> > A question. Does anyone know of an occasion where, since becoming the
> > Minister for Transport, Mr Scully has actually been on a train or a tram in
> > any situation that is not directly linked to the 2000 Olympics?
>
> Can anyone remember a NSW Transport Minister that has retained that
> portfolio very long after advocating light rail?
>
> rob

I know that the deal for the current Pyrmont Light Rail system was done by
the Fahey government, so I assume that Bruce Baird advocated light rail. In
any case, his portfolio was lost due to a change of government, rather than
being bumped off by the Premier. Photios apparently advocates light rail, and
I was almost considering voting for that mob until I heard about their crazy
plans to spend $1 billion on a 'superhighway' between Penrith and Lithgow.
Maybe they can send Borbidge down from Queensland, as at least his government
seemed to be prepared to put money into the transport system (Briztram, tilt
trains, gold coast extension etc).

Rob

Sydney (Australia)