Re: Derailment at Concort West - Reason

maffa wrote:

> I've been reliably informed that the caution signal warning of the loop is
> only 50 to 100 metres from the point itself. Meaning you can be doing
> 115km/h and only have a short distance to brake. I know of plenty trains
> have gone into the loop at over 50 because of the poor placement of signals.
> There is another spot like this at either Blacktown or Rooty Hill.

I had a look today.  The turnout is located at ~ 14.437 km.  The signal for it
is located at ~ 14.445 km.  The sighting for the top yellow indication by the
driver is at ~ 14.545 km.  The previous signal is located at ~ 14.760 km.  The
sighting for the previous signal by the driver is at ~ 14.888 km.

(~ = approximately)

So, If you take the turnout to be at 0 metres, the turnout signal is at ~ 8
metres.  The sighting for the turnout signal is at ~ 108 metres.  The previous
signal is at ~ 323 metres.  The sighting for the previous signal is at ~ 451
metres.

At night, the sighting distance could be a little higher.

I asked Strathfield box whether that location had one or two medium caution
(Green over Yellow) indications, and he said two, so I'll have to go and have a
look at the sighting for the Home signal before that.

--
David Johnson
CityRail Guard