Re: Derailment at Concort West - Reason

Michael Walker wrote in message <897394643.663904@woody.hotkey.net.au>...
>>The loco eng did not
>>recognise the implication of the changed signal (a caution signal one
>signal
snip

>At the risk of being severely flamed and sent lewd pictures in my e-mail,
>shouldn't the loco driver take at least some of the blame. After all, he
DID
>misread the signal

For sure. The problem is that your average Joe can make a smallish stuffup,
on a daily basis, and that's the end of it. Most people make a mistake they
have to retype something.
But drivers in their life pass tens of thousands of signals. Miss one, from
all those thousands, and next thing your on A Current Affair. Who can say
they have never gazed out of their office window for a minute or two, even
once in their whole career. I can't. Drivers can't do this, ever, especially
with DOO. Without systems to back drivers up, this shit will happen from
time to time, and that's a cost the country has decided to wear.

*     *             brougham@bigpond.com
    +     http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/1432/

   *              Perth, Western Australia.