Re: Derailment at Concort West - Reason

> For sure. The problem is that your average Joe can make a smallish stuffup,
> on a daily basis, and that's the end of it. Most people make a mistake they
> have to retype something.
> But drivers in their life pass tens of thousands of signals. Miss one, from
> all those thousands, and next thing your on A Current Affair.

Same goes for Traffic Lights at intersections I guess..

> Who can say
> they have never gazed out of their office window for a minute or two, even
> once in their whole career. I can't. Drivers can't do this, ever, especially
> with DOO.

this is irrelevant in this circumstance. The DOO argument is only valid for
trains that USED to have two crew up front. Since electrification, when was the
last 2 man suburban passenger train run?

> Without systems to back drivers up, this shit will happen from
> time to time, and that's a cost the country has decided to wear.

How far does the back-up need to go?From Time-interval to Electric staff to
Block working to Color light signalling...

Does the signaller/train controller have to walk next to the train to make sure
that everything is OK?

maybe the signalling systems are to complex now?

A step back to two position (stop and go), post to post working would ensure
that drivers were not confused too many signals in advance...

--
"Indecision is the key to flexibility"

Tony Gatt.

Homepage: