Computer Simulations

For all those readers who are into computer simulations ("computer games"), the
following information might be of some interest.

There is a simulation called "Train Dispatcher", which is available from a
supplier in the USA; I think that it might now be a fairly well known product.
A new version of the original was released a few months ago, and one of the
territories included was a representation of State Rail's North Coast line from
Maitland to Kempsey.  I have checked the last WTT that I have for this section,
and it would appear that the timetable being used is fairly consistent with that
in actual operation as at October last, but without any passenger traffic, and
that does slightly detract from its authenticity, and thus some of the
challenges.

Over the last few months, the supplier has been periodically releasing a number
of new "territories; readers might have seen some postings from a Tom Levine on
the subject.  Whilst most of these territories (and some of them are commercial
- you have to actually buy them, but at only $US5 per "territory, whilst there
is now a whole stack of "free" territories) are based on sections of US track,
there are some foreign "territories, principally from the UK, Italy, Germany,
and Australia.
I am aware of four, apart from the North Coast, new "free" Australian
territories:
(a) a representation of the track from Maitland to Sydney, but, apart from the
potential fun aspect, it bears very little relationship to reality, both from a
track layout viewpoint, and from the timetable, even though the author does
suggest that the timetables for the passenger traffic (and I am not sure which
ones he is talking about) is accurate;
(b) a representation, stated as being based on a VicTrack signal diagram for
sometime in 1997, of the track from Glenbervie through Jacana (and the flyover),
Broadmeadows to Somerton.  The timetable represents the morning peak till around
lunchtime.  I am not prepared to comment on any aspect of this simulation, since
I have no knowledge on either aspect, but it does certainly look like something
that might have some challenges;
(c) the final two territories are written by a gentleman from Canberra, who I
think might also be a contributor to this newsgroup, and represent, in the first
instance, the complete trackage from Melbourne to Adelaide (actually Keswick),
and secondly from Melbourne to Junee.  From my initial checking, both
simulations are extremely accurate, apart from a couple of minor issues, in
terms of both track layout and current timetables, even to the extent of even
attempting to simulate the track speeds on the Gheringhap to Maroona segment of
the Western SG.  I think that we are all aware about the problems that are
presently being experienced on the Western SG, and this particular simulation
gives a very clear example of what these issues are, and why they are
occurring.  At the same time, the Melbourne - Junee simulation shows the
problems that are being faced on sections of the North-East in the mid to late
evening due to the number of crosses that occur in this area at that time.  I
have to say that the designer of these two simulations ought to congratulated on
his effort, and the accurate detail that he has shown.

For anyone who has a passion for simulations, but who is more inclined towards
train control / CTC-style activities, as opposed to some of the fare that comes
from the SIAM simulations, "Train Dispatcher" is certainly worth a look, and it
is not really all that expensive, despite the current falling exchange rate to
the $US.

Regards to all.
David Donald.