Re: Derailment at Concort West - Reason

>Regardless, unless the driver showed some sort of intent to cause the
>accident, or gross negligence (e.g. being drunk), it is unfair that he
should
>take the blame. All humans are fallible, and if we are to put drivers in
>charge of trains without suitable technological aids (e.g. ATP), then we
>should expect a certain amount of errors.
>
>How many people participating in this newsgroup can honestly say that they
>perform their own jobs 100%, 100% of the time? If you are a receptionist,
you
>may accidently photocopy a wrong number of copies of a document. If you are
>postman you may occasionally place a letter in the wrong person's
letterbox.
>If you are a baker, you may forget an ingredient in a batch of bread dough.
>However if you are a train driver, any mistake you make (even when
committed
>at some ungodly hour of the morning when you are a little on the tired
side,
>just like the baker) can cost lives.
>
>Drivers should not be held accountable for being human. If we were that
>serious about rail safety, we would look at implementing measures such as
ATP
>to ensure that a 'superhuman' was monitoring the efforts of the human
driver.

Whilst I don't disagree with the principle of extra safety measures be they
mechanical, computerised or whatever, the fact of the matter is that they
don't exist in this scenario. If such safety measures don't exist then it
should be assumed that extra care should be taken in potentially dangerous
situations which may affect peoples lives including the crew. In this case
110km/h approaching a 25km/h turnout with a signal indication which may
indicate that the train may be taking the turnout and if another poster is
correct a WTT that is clearly marked that the train is to take the relief
track. Sure train drivers are human and make mistakes. But are you saying we
should pat the guy on the head and say 'There, there, we all make mistakes,
this is just an extra big mistake. Don't worry, no-one is going to hold you
accountable, we'll just put you back in charge of the next train when you
feel ready'?
    I guess we all learn from our mistakes. Indeed, after this stuff up, I
bet the guy will be extremely careful from now on and will be much better at
his job for the experience than many other drivers who haven't had this
experience or will learn from it. Hence I think the guy should continue to
drive trains and would encourage him to do so and have no problems
travelling on one of his trains. However, I still think there should be some
accountability - in his position lives are at stake. Whilst I take your
point we all make mistakes, most employers will hold you accountable for
those mistakes and rightly so.
    In my job, if I cost my employer money then there may be some
accountability for that. If I put peoples lives in danger, then I will be
held accountable. Why should this driver be any different?