Re: Implications of ICE crash

Crookesp wrote in message
<1998060718051800.OAA18668@ladder01.news.aol.com>...
>In article <6ld5m0$ute$8@gruvel.une.edu.au>, dbromage@metz.une.edu.au
(David
>Bromage) writes:
>
>>>On a grain costkng $20 million, why is there no constant electronic
>>monitoring
>>>of wheel integrity displayed in the driver's cabin?
>>
>>How would you monitor the wheels in this way
>
>I think by monitoring and reporting vibration above a pre-determined level.
>Passengers reported rattling noises and high vibration for two minutes
before
>the crash. I wonder if a way could be foound that would alert the driver
>perhaps at least to reduce speed and check the source of that vibration.

There are a couple of Wheel Impact Load Detectors (WILD) up around Maitland
way, monitored, I think, from Maitland Box. These were introduced after an
NR train lost half a wheel early last year, but kept going for miles before
it derailed. The problem of course, once the impact is detected, is to
contact the train to stop it.