Re: Implications of ICE crash

crookesp@aol.com (Crookesp) wrote:

> I think by monitoring and reporting vibration above a pre-determined level.
> Passengers reported rattling noises and high vibration for two minutes before
> the crash. I wonder if a way could be foound that would alert the driver
> perhaps at least to reduce speed and check the source of that vibration.

So what?  At 200 km/h its seems unlikely that any such monitoring
would have made a great deal of difference in the circumstances of the
recent ICE wreck.

The description of conditions which have emerged so far suggest that
separation of the train occurred shortly after the derailment and
emergency braking commenced.  So it still seem likely the train would
have suffered a very similar fate as it appears the damaged coaches
were already down to around 100 km/h at the point of impact.

In any case, its pointless speculating too much based on mass media
reports.

Cheers,

Bill