Re: Derailment at Concort West - Reason

Michael Walker wrote:

> <snipped>

> However, maybe something else which
> could be done is that which occurred in Victoria during the introduction of
> SPOT. Lit turnout indications were added to signals just before the points
> in question. Whilst the distance in Victoria would be too little for the
> situation in question (they are placed on the signal controlling the
> turnout), maybe a 'distant' turnout indication would be of some use.

That sounds to me like a good idea. I am not a signals engineer, so I do not
know whether there are technical implications that make it unsafe. In effect,
you are suggesting the introduction of an element of route signalling, which is
done in some parts of the world, so I guess it is feasible.

This would mean that instead of receiving a speed indication only, with an
implication of route change, the loco eng would see a clear indication that he
was to change course through a turnout. Since every loco eng in NZ knows that
his speed through a turnout is limited, it would be an unequivocal message to
slow down - and one that would be difficult to misinterpret because of
psychological conditioning.