Re: Media, railways and facts.

Craig Haber wrote in message <357CBF1D.5FE1@harnessnet.com.au>...

<snip>

>Interesting at least to see that there is real concern about the two
>guage network in Victoria....what a stuff up, IMHO the Adelaide SG
>should have been seperate line Npt-North C, flyover the BG at North C,
>then one BG and one SG to Gheringhap, single SG to Maroona, either dual
>guage or (if you can't mount 60km/m rails as dual guage) gauntlet track
>Maroona-Dimboola, single SG to the border and beyond.  Retain all
>intrastate BG, cause minimal impact with the SG.  But no, not much
>lateral thinking happens in Victoria, so we re-create all that is bad
>about rail in Australia - seperate guages.

Why not just bite the bullet and get rid of the broad gauge entirely (With
the exception, perhaps of the Melbourne suburban network). When the M - A
main line was standardised there were some figures bandied around that the
cost of standardising the rest of the network would be recouped in less than
10 years.

Barry Campbell