Re: Article in Trains magazine

Craig Haber wrote:

> I travelled northbound on the Daylight on Thurs 21/5 and southbound on
> the Overnight Sat 23/5.  The sitting cars rode *beautifully*.  All of
> them, I took walks right through the train at various stages in Victoria
> (straight track mostly) and NSW (curvy), and sitting cars were all quiet
> and smooth.  The sleeping car is another story - it was harsh and noisy.

I assume that you did not have one of the new order XL cars then, as they have
the same suspension a the XAM sleepers.

> Seats throughout the train are poor.  The brochure says they're modelled
> on those in the TGV - that's fine, but passengers don't have to sit 10+
> hours in a TGV, do they?  The mere fact that a seat reclines does not
> make it comfortable!

The old day-nighters had very nice seats.  To experience these seats overnight
these days requires a trip back from Broken Hill to Sydney on a Thursday night.
I recommend a sleeping bag, as the air conditioning has trouble coping with the
subzero temperatures.

--
David Johnson
CityRail Guard