Re: Old Railway near Albury

The line you saw was the famous Cudgewa line. I'm not sure when it was built
but it closed in the late 70's. The line still runs as far as Bandiana. This
line was extensively relocated when the Hume Weir was constructed. The line
also was the highest point the VR network ever reached at the station of
Shelley.

The line was heavily used for transporting machinery during construction of the
Snowy River project, after that the only traffic left was wood and
cattle/sheep.

I presume the track has been ripped up by now, I hiked the entire line in 1982
and everything was pretty much intact, there were even some RY's GY's etc in
use as phosphate bins at some of the stations.

Mark.

THE ROCK is dead
Long live THE ROCK!