Re: British firms bid for Melbourne trams

Bob (gioia@fastlink.com.au) wrote:
> The June issue of Railway Magazine (just released in Australia) has an
> article that says that six British companies are understood to be
> potential bidders for the Melbourne tram system. The companies are:
> National Express

Would probably be acceptable. They are partners in Scotrail, and one of
the first things he Scotrail franchise did was order new DMUs.

> Stagecoach

I hope not! They are the worst TOC operators in the UK. I understand they
were deliberately kept out of the bidding for MetBus.

> GB Rail

Would probably be okay.

> Virgin Rail

The best on the list so far.

> First Group

Never heard of them.

> National Bus Company

Sounds iffy to me. Too much like GM and oil companies buying up streetcar
systems in the USA.

>     I thought National Bus Company (Bosenjaks) was an Australian
> Company. Also listed as a possible bidder is the French company CGEA
> which runs two Connex franchises in the UK.

Not for long. Connext South East and Connex South Central are up for sale.

There are a few more local groups interested in the trams.

Cheers
David