Re: Looks like the six car XPT sets are back

Graham Duffin wrote:

> The last two mornings (Mon 27/7 and Tue 28/7) the Brisbane XPT has been
> six trailer cars and the two power cars.  Looks like the six car XPT
> sets are back now that the school holidays are finished.
>
> Does anyone know why the consists have been reduced again and when the
> sets will return to seven cars?

The story I have heard goes like this: Every month Countrylink sends the
Transport Ministers office the figures for the month of passengers
traveling on their services. These figures are not the number of passengers
but a percentage of passengers on the available seats. If the train is
reduced in capacity by one car the figures look much better. Last time they
took one car off the official excuse was that that car was to be
"refurbished" but in fact sat in storage at ACDEP out of public sight. I
understand that the same will happen again this time. Remember too that the
Broken Hill and Griffith services (loco hauled) have also been reduced by
one car. I guess that without school holidays and with cool weather there
just aren't as many passengers around.Bob