Re: Melbourne - Metcard validation before every trip

In article <6pcpob$i3q$1@toto.tig.com.au>,
Michael Kurkowski <simcard@tig.com.au> wrote:

>David Proctor wrote in message <01bdb64f$cefb76e0$a37c0acb@locxvcym>...
>:
>:
>:So let me get this right - you want to show your ticket to someone rather
>:than just put it in a machine?
>:
>

>Pretty much... The machine takes longer to grab and spit your ticket back at
>you. You walk straight past the person normally and he will let you through.
>They still however have an uncanny way of noticing an expired ticket -
>people always get caught for it.

 But I wouldnt mind betting that many more invalid tickets get past them,
especially at busy times. There is no way the human could sustain an
average reading rate higher than the validator gates at near 100% accuracy.

 My Sydney tick is scanned by a gate at the minimum twice a day, and frequently
more. It works.
 More than once pre automatic ticketing I walked out of the station showing
the wrong ticket. I got out at my local station for a week after my monthly
had expired back then, I had the new one, but had accidently put it behind\
the old one. After I noticed, I left it like that and waited for some one to
notice...