Re: Melbourne - Metcard validation before every trip

No, tickets are shown as valid to 2.00 next morning (ie the operating day,
not the calendar day).

There must be some benefit: Route 99 all-night trams required the purchase
of a new ticket.  A metcard valid to 2.00 must be acceptable.

Ticket validity is like death and pregnancy: you can't be partly dead,
partly pregnant or partly valid.
A monthly should not have to be poked into a slot at the originating
station every morning: this simply adds to delays and congestion, and
reduced some of the benefits of buying a periodical.

I was fooled by the validator on a recent journey to the city.  Aiming for
an 18.04 train, I validated my newly-purchased ticket on the wrong side of
18.00 by mistake.  The machine gave me a validity only to 20.00, and not to
2.00 (as it would one minute later).  Tickets purchased after 18.00 are
valid until the last service of the evening.  This move encourages further
delays, as people wait to the last minute to validate (this
happened/happens in Perth).

--
Regards
Roderick Smith