Re: Mistakes of 100 years ago

In article <6p742d$57l$2@news.mel.aone.net.au> dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) writes:
>From: dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage)
>Subject: Re: Mistakes of 100 years ago
>Date: 23 Jul 1998 10:42:21 GMT

>Maurie Daly (mauried@commslab.gov.au) wrote:
>> Even though we had uniform guage between melbourne and adelaide from 1920 ,

>VR and SAR met up at Serviceton long before the 1920s.

Yes sorry , was confusing it with the building of the TAR.
Around 1880 I think the lines were joined.
Even though it was uniform guage , it wasnt a uniform loading guage, SA was
wider.

>> Exactly the same madness happened at Albury from 1962 when the SG line was
>> built till just prior to the creation of NRC when Countrylink successfully ran
>> the first XPT thru Albury without it having to change drivers.

>At least through running of locomotives had commenced before that.
Not quite true. Thru running of selected locomotives commenced.
The number of classes of NSW locos running into Victoria was pretty limited.

cheers
MD