Re: TGV type questions.

Tell (telljb@ozemail.com.au) wrote:
> "Chris Stratton" <stratton.chris.cp@bhp.com.au> wrote:
> >The VFT proposal a few years back was planning to run
> >Sydney-Canberra-Melbourne. BHP was part of the consortium and the project
> >was eventually cancelled because the government at the time wouldn't provide
> >any tax concessions.

> If Governments do not wish to take on projects like
> this, and they should not, then they MUST provide
> incentives through the tax system, without that we will
> go nowhere.

It depends what sort of incentive you mean. The federal, NSW and ACT
governments now have to each put in $1 million for the project to proceed
to the next stage. However the winning bid immediately has to pay $3
million back, so it's neutral in the end. Previous governments were not
even willing to do this.

Cheers
David