Re: Boom gates question

"Chris Stratton" <stratton.chris.cp@bhp.com.au> wrote in aus.rail:

>Do you mean manual or powered gates? I have seen both types hit cars. The
>electric boom gates I used to work on when I was an electrician had nothing
>to detect obstructions so they just used to hit the car, truck or whatever
>was in the way. Maybe more modern ones have some sort of detection.
>Regards,
>--
I used sneak in and work the mechanical boom gates at McKinnon on the
odd occasion (under the signalman's supervision of course) back in the
mid 1960's when that station had a signal box.

They had sprung feet on the ends of the gate. I was told they could
make quite an impact on the bonnet of a car.

Les Brown