Re: Qld Rail trivia question

Andrew Robson wrote:

> Not strictly correct.  The first sod was turned by Lady Bowen, wife of
> Queensland's first Governor on 26 February 1864 and Queensland's first
> railway was opened between Ipswich and Bigge's Camp on 31 July 1865.

Not correct Andrew.  I have the original invitation and Programme of
Proceedings at the Inauguration of the works of the first Queensland
Railway (printed on silk) before me. (they were my sent to my
grandmother.)

The date was 25 February 1864 and it starts:
Holders of tickets for Admission to the Enclosure will assemble on the
ground at North Ipswich at 11 A.M.
His Excellency the Governor and Lady Bowen Accompaied by the Escort of the
Volunteer Cavalry, will arrive at Half-past Eleven, and be received by the
Committee; the Volunteer Rifles and Artillery being present. and so on.
One day I'll scan it in.

Just because you read it in a book doesn't mean its correct.

BTW Bigges Camp and Granschester are one and the same place AND name:
Grandchester is simply Bigges Camp latinised.  Grand=Big, Chester=Camp.

Cheers

Garry