Re: Whale watching observations.

G'day,

Michael Walker wrote:
>Now you mention the snack bar, I was a little surprised that it was only
> open for 1 hr 15 mins between 6pm and 7.15pm. I can understand that it > saves crewing costs as the snack bar crew can get on the down train at > Winchelsea but it still strikes me as odd as I am sure the potential > > for more sales exists between Geelong and Melbourne, especially as the > normal Vline Melb-Geel trains don't have snack bars either.

The snack bar is opened as soon as all evening dinners have been
distributed.  If the train returns to the platform and dinners have
arrived, often they are all out before departure.  If the train doesn't
dock (shunting, brake blocks etc) until later, dinners are distributed
later, and hence snack bar opens later.  The 7:15pm finish is required
as the Catering Attendent has to do a full stocktake, then leaves the
train at Geelong (they don't cross onto the down at Winchelsea, the
other train has it's own Warrnambool based Conny and Caterer).

> Speaking of boarding the train at Warrnambool, you may want to consider on
> cold freezing days like last Wednesday to board the train sooner than 20
> minutes before departure. The waiting room at Warrnambool was nearly full 45
> minutes before the train was due to leave and it was annoying seeing the
> empty carriages just off the end of the platform

It's not that simple.  The train is pulled clear of the platform for a
very good reason - a train examination.  The train examiner requires
access to BOTH sides of the train, this ensures that on each second day,
each carriage has a train examination down both sides.  Only 1 side can
be examined at Spencer St (becuase you're at the platform), and the same
applies if you leave the train at the platform at Warrnambool.  The
train is always docked as soon as possible.  If there's a lot of
shunting, many brake blocks to replace etc etc, docking can be later.
The powervan and locomotive are also fuelled during this time.

> >The dining car (RMS2380, ex Southern Aurora) is currently under
> >restoration at Ballarat.
> >
> How far off finishing is it?

Off hand I don't know.

BTW, did you see any whales?  Most groups in the past 3 weeks or so have
seen at least 2.

Cheers,
Craig.
--