Re: Melbourne - Metcard validation before every trip

Glenn Capuano (glenn@werple.net.au) wrote:

: >Is this true?
: >
: >I had someone try their Weekly like this:
: >Validated on Friday to gain entry to Flinders Strees and exited
: >at local station (no barriers, no validation)
: >On Sunday when to local station and walked straight on (passed
: >validator without validating it.)
: >At Flinders Street the barriers let him out.
: >
: >The way I see it is;
: >If you exit a station throught barriers, you can't exit again at
: >any station, but this same day time I haven' see yet.
: >
: >Anyone that uses Monthlies or Weeklies please try thins:
: >On day don't validate you ticket until you want to exit at
: >a station with barriers.  I think you will still be able to
: >get out.

: No, this is what doesn't work now. Up to last Tuesday it did, the
: machines didn't check whether or not it had been validated that day or
: since the last time going out through the barriers. Now they do.

: Will they be set up this way when the manned exit is finally closed
: and everything is barrier gates? So you could feasibly have a valid
: ticket and not be able to get out of the station then. Now, they're
: still letting you out (not trying to fine people as far as I could
: tell), you just get a lecture at the manned exit.

: Glenn

Til last Tuesday?  When I said he tried it on Sunday that was today
(12/7).  Yes I know that if you try to exit twice in a row at any
station you get "not validated" from last Tuesday, but If i vaildat
a ticket on Monday afternoon to enter Flinders Street and the
next validation is Exiting Flinders Street on Tuesday Morning
then it will still work.

Your question about manned gate closed, I don't think they can
deny you exit from a station if you have a valid ticket.

And fining people, as already said if they tried to fine you
for not validating a valid ticket it wouldn't stand up in court.

--
Chris Gordon
  email - cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au